The Presidency Pro-Témpore (PPT) is designated by consensus of the Member Countries during the Vice-Ministerial Meeting. Countries interested in chairing the Conference must inform of this during the Planary Meeting at least one year before. The PPT is currently held by the Government of Panama.
Among its main functions are the following:
- To facilitate the co-ordination of the meetings of the Regional Conference on Migration (RCM) and the Regional Consultation Group on Migration (RCGM).
- To convene the meetings of the RCM and send the corresponding invitations through the Technical Secretariat.
- To take on the coordination and general management of the meetings and activities of the RCM held during its chair.
- To assume the coordination of the meetings and activities of the RCGM and the two Liaison Officer Networks established within the RCM: the Liaison Officers Network to Combat Migrant Smuggling and Trafficking in Persons and the Liaison Officers Network for Consular Protection.
- To ask Member Contries to designate delegates for the Drafting Committee at the begining of each meeting. It chairs the Drafting Committees of the Networks, the RCGM and the RCM. The following documents must be produced: the Report of each Network, the Conclusions of the RCGM, the Recomendations for the Vice-Ministers, and a draft of the Declaration and Decisions, according to the agreements reached during the Plenary Meetings of the RCM.
- To identify, under consultation with Member Countries, the high-priority activities of the Plan of Action that are pending or require funding to be carried out.
- To take on the expenses related to organizing the Meetings of the Vice-Ministers and the RCGM.
- To assume som responsibilities regarding the administration of the Fund for the Return of Migrants in Highly Vulnerable Situations
Following up, the Concept Note prepared by the Government of Panama on the central theme chosen for the year 2018.
Sustainable Development Goals: Towards the "Governance of Migrations"
The IOM defines governance as "traditions and institutions insofar as it is the country in which its authority over migration, mobility and nationality is authorized, the government's ability to formulate and implement with the same practice in those areas. " Based on this definition and considering that target 10.7 of the SDGs is proposed to "Facilitate orderly, safe, responsible and responsible migration and mobility of people, including through the application of planned and well-managed migration policies", it is evident that The SDGs play an essential role in defining the guidelines and commitments that determine global migration governance.
In the same sense, the Global Compact for a safe, regular and orderly migration (GCM) which is developed within the framework of goal 10.7 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and through the international community will be committed by defining principles, understandings and commitments of action, prepared monitored, to international cooperation strengthened to facilitate orderly, safe, regular and responsible migrations, also play a fundamental role for migratory governance throughout the world.
Bearing in mind that both the development of the SDGs related to migration and the GCM are processes under construction during the coming years and, particularly, during 2018, the Panama PPT, that both processes are of the utmost importance to improve the governance of the migrations worldwide.
The IOM Migration Governance Framework, approved by all the Member Countries of the organization, considers that good migration governance is one that aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Promote the socioeconomic well-being of migrants and society.
- Effectively address issues related to mobility in crisis situations.
- Ensure that migration takes place in a safe, orderly and dignified manner.
To achieve these objectives, the Framework proposes that States:
- Adhere to international standards and comply with and enforce the rights of migrants.
- Form contrasting policies that use integrated government approaches.
- Collaborate with your partners to address migration and related issues.
Taking into account the objectives and goals acquired, related to the issue of migration, within the framework of the SDGs, as well as the objectives and principles that should be observed towards good migration governance, in line with the Framework of Governance on Migration; the PPT of Panama will dedicate its period at the head of the RCM to enhance the role of the RCM in the improvement of migration governance in the region, through the transversalization and regionalization of the SDGs in the work of the RCM.
Objectives and products
General objective of the Panama PPT:
- Promote better migration governance, through the mainstreaming and regionalization of the SDGs in the work of the RCM.
Specific objectives of the Panama PPT:
- Promote the exchange of information and experiences on the mainstreaming of the SDGs in migration governance.
- Transversalize the SDGs, pertaining to migration governance, in the work of the RCM.
- Facilitate the regionalization of the SDGs related to migration governance.
- Consolidate the efforts of the RCM that have the greatest potential to improve migration governance at the regional level, particularly with regard to the following issues: illicit trafficking of migrants, migrant workers, extra-regional migrants, migrant children and migrant women.
- Evaluate the possibility of regionalizing a Migratory Governance Index, based on the experience of the Dominican Republic.
- Promote and monitor the work of the RCM Networks and encourage them to establish monitoring mechanisms in the framework of Management for Development Results and the related SDGs