The Presidency Pro-Témpore (PPT) is designated by consensus of the Member Countries during the Vice-Ministerial Meeting. Countries interested in chairing the Conference must inform of this during the Planary Meeting at least one year before. The PPT is currently held by the Government of El Salvador, represented by the Vice-Minister of Diaspora and Human Mobility, Cindy Mariella Portal.
Among its main functions are the following:
- To facilitate the co-ordination of the meetings of the Regional Conference on Migration (RCM) and the Regional Consultation Group on Migration (RCGM).
- To convene the meetings of the RCM and send the corresponding invitations through the Technical Secretariat.
- To take on the coordination and general management of the meetings and activities of the RCM held during its chair.
- To assume the coordination of the meetings and activities of the RCGM and the Working Groups established within the RCM: the Working Group on Border Management, the Working Group on Labor Migration, the Working Group on Irregular and Mass Migration, and the Working Group on Protection.
- To produce the Report of each Working Group, the Conclusions of the RCGM, the Recommendations for the Vice-Ministers, and a draft of the Declaration and Decisions, according to the agreements reached during the Plenary Meetings of the RCM.
- To identify, under consultation with Member Countries, the high-priority activities of the Strategic Plan that are pending or require funding to be carried out.
- To assume some responsibilities regarding the administration of the Fund for the Return of Migrants in Highly Vulnerable Situations